Inorganic chemistry is the study of the structure, properties, and reactivity of molecules and materials that do not contain carbon. This quiz will test your knowledge of inorganic chemistry with ten multiple-choice questions.
Question 1. Consider the following statements with reference to the periodic table of chemical elements.
- Ionization potential gradually decreases along a period.
- In a group of elements, electron affinity decreases as the atomic weight increases.
- In a given period, electronegativity decreases as the atomic number increases.
Which of these statement(s) is/are correct?
(A) 2 and 3
(B) 1 and 3
(C) Only 2
(D) Only 1
- Assertion (A): In the periodic table of chemical elements, electron affinity is always found to increase from top to bottom in a group.
- Reason (R): In a group, the atomic radii generally increase from top to bottom.
(A) (A) is false, but (R) is true
(B) (A) is true, but (R) is false
(C) Both (A) and (R) are true, but (R) is not the correct explanation of (A)
(D) Both (A) and (R) are true and (R) is the correct explanation of (A)
Question 3. The chemical composition of diamond is ___________.
Question 4. Which of the following is a fundamental element?
Question 5. Approximately, how many different chemical elements exist in the Earth?
Question 6. Which of the following is the most common element in the Universe?
Question 7. Which is the most abundant element after oxygen?
Question 8. Which one of the following is present in the largest amount in terms of percent by mass in the Earth’s crust?
Question 9. The element found maximum in the soil layer is __________.
Question 10. What is the usual property of oxides of Group III and IV?
(D) Basic and acidic