Civil Services Preliminary Exam Pattern
- Preliminary exam contains two papers.
- Exam type: MCQ based (Objective types)
- Paper 1: General Studies Paper 1 – 200 Marks
- Paper 2: General Studies Paper 2 (Aptitude Test) – 200 Marks
Civil Service Main Exam Pattern
- 1 Paper – I – Essay: 250 marks
- 2 Paper – II – General Studies-I: 250 marks
- 3 Paper – III – General Studies-II: 250 marks
- 4 Paper – IV – General Studies-III: 250 marks
- 5 Paper – V – General Studies-IV: 250 marks
- 6 Paper – VI – Optional Subject -Paper – 1: 250 marks
- 7 Paper – VII – Optional Subject -Paper – 2: 250 marks
- Sub Total (Written test): 1750 marks
- Personality test: 275 marks
- Grand total: 2025 marks
Paper 1 :
- Current events of national and international importance
- History of India and Indian National Movement
- Indian and World Geography – Physical, Social, Economic geography of India and the World.
- Indian Polity and Governance – Constitution, Political System, Panchayati Raj, Public Policy, Rights Issues, etc.
- Economic and Social Development – Sustainable Development, Poverty, Inclusion, Demographics, Social Sector Initiatives, etc.
- General issues on Environmental ecology, Bio-diversity and Climate Change – that do not require subject specialization
- General Science.
Paper 2 :
- Interpersonal skills including communication skills
- Logical reasoning and analytical ability
- Decision making and problem solving
- General mental ability
- Basic numeracy (numbers and their relations, orders of magnitude etc…) (Class X level), Data interpretation (charts, graphs, tables, data sufficiency etc… – Class X level)
- Questions relating to English Language Comprehension skills of Class X level (last item in the Syllabus of Paper-II) will be tested through passages from English language only without providing Hindi translation thereof in the question paper.